Let me share my experience of preparing Idli just few days back :P For the first time in my life... I liked Idli :P WOW! Was it reel? or real? But yes it did come out pretty well that fine day...
One fine day... got idli rice after lot of hunt for the right kind of rice.... and there I go... soaked Idli at around 1pm that afternoon :)Starring at the soaked rice... thinking me..."Sandy, common...U can make good ones... though u r not a idli lover :P Your husband loves it...so u will make it real soft and tasty idli's tomorrow morning!" Whataaaaaaaaaaa positive thinking huh.... Then i had a confusion...Hey how about the urad dal? Did i forget to soak it along with rice? Then came to my mind... My mom saying one day while at work... "Sanu... u need to soak idli rice when u go to office in the morning..and after u come back in the evening, just before 45mins to 60mins before grinding the rice, soak the ural dal with half a spoon of fenugreek seeds :P Oh yeah...Thanks to my memory...tht i could remember tht well at the right time :)
Then came the time to soak urad dal... soaked the dal with fenugreek seeds around 6pm that evening...I have never looked at the watch so many times :P Dint wanted to miss that time limit my mom mentioned...I thought i better stick to it...so i cud make good ones...so cautios huh... exactly when the clock hit 7pm, there i go... totally energised...to grind the urad dal first... Little disappointed me...reason being: THe fenugreek seeds where not grinded well :(May be cos of the oster mixie... not being indian style...but not sure:( Oh no.. i had to sit with the urad dal dough for half an hour picking the seeds :( I was finally done with it... Then comes the rice part.,. I added just little handful of cooked rice to the raw idli rice, and grinded them...Good job Sandy! Now the dough is ready to be fermented.... Assumed that the dough might really come up until the roof of the bowl :P I transferred the whole thing to a big bowl :)AGain positive thinking :) Kept it in the oven.... For once... i was actually talking to the oven... "I have done my job now... rest, u pls take care of it"!
Next day morning... as u did...first thing i did was...check the dough...Oh man...i was not very happy though... I did not reach the roof of the bowl :( Oh no... Still..Positive thinking...dint give up there! I put the dough in just one of the mould out of three of them...to make sure I wud pack them for my husband only if it comes out well! :) I put it to steam in high flame for 20mins...Then comes my time to test my talent! Obviously..as usualy...gave it to my husband to taste it...and Wooooowooooooooooooooooooooooo...He said it is lovely...!!! Me though...full sssssssssssssssssmiles:)He said it was very soft and nice :)What else i wud need that moment... :P Happily packed them with spicy Onion chutney!!! :)

Oh one little thing i missed in that... In the morning..just before putting them to moulds... I added a pinch of soda, salt in 3 spoons of water and mixed it well... :P silly thing though!
ReplyDelete